Sunday, November 2, 2008

Fishing with Becker


















A couple years ago my Canadian dad gave me an awesome fly-fishing rod. I was really excited, as I love fishing and have always wanted to go. Unfortunately, it has been in the storage room, mainly because I haven't had a chance to go out and fish. This is Arizona, and while we do fish, we have to drive a ways to get to a spot worth going to. That is, until now.

Kat, a Canadian friend here in Holbrook, let drop that her husband, Dan, went fly-fishing. I have never been out before and had no idea how to cast, tie knots, or do much of anything that is fly-fishing. Kat told Dan, and he talked to me the next day about going fly-fishing.














I trained for about an hour on the cast, and we went to a "secret" spot close to Holbrook. The fishing was tremendous! The fish we pulled out of there were huge and plentiful, hitting on every kind of eggs, spinners, whatever you put in the water. I had a blast.

Holbrook had a water outage....yes, you read right, and cancelled school for a day. We went fishing again on the surprise day off and the fishing was once again great. In fact, you can youtube it! Maybe I'll even get it here on my blog.















It was unfortunate, on this trip, that my pole, which has seen many fish, including three large ones on my own, caught its last hog. The upper part of the pole split into three pieces and my fly-fishing is done, for now. I can't wait to splurge on another pole and go again.

A special thanks to my Canadian dad! You rock!!! I used the pole twice and will always remember it. In fact, Amy and I are probably going to hang it up in the office...thank you for your gift of the pole and, more importantly, the experience and chance to learn a new, relaxing hobby.




See more by searching for Fly Fishing Northern Arizona 2 on youtube.com!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awe! Eldon that's so sweet!