Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Villians

I might come off as a little cruel, but I love fictional villians. If I were to play a part in a movie, I would want to be a bad guy. Favorite character in Star Wars has and always will be the stormtrooper. The book that I want to write is actually going to be entitled VILLIAN. When I sit down and watch an action movie, I secretly find myself rooting for the villian. Why do I have this obsession...I don't know! All I know is that I go a little soft for a man/woman who isn't afraid to get their hands dirty and take care of business.

However, not all villians are created the same. There are some who are weak characters...unable to pull of the big heist or crime because they break rules. Now I know what you might be thinking...villians don't have rules, right? Wrong! There are several rules that a villian can not break if they want to do well. As I have nothing to blog about today, I will be discussing one of my favorite villians, and the rules that he broke!



































No villianous list is complete without the original Vader. Darth Vader is one of the most amazing villians in the world. His trick is easilly explained! He makes you root for him. As you go through the movie you begin to realize that there is something behind the mask. Something that makes you want him to succeed. When you find out he is Luke's daddy, you know what is was and then you hope, as Luke does, that he will turn away from the dark side. And, wouldn't you know it, he ends up turning away from the emperor and saving Luke. So, point goes to Vader!

Another reason Vader is awesome...he can use the force. It is your basic X-Man power, lift things with nothing but your mind, strangle subordinates, yadda yadda. His power seems to be unlimited, and when you throw in his lightsaber, you get an even stronger Sith.

Vader doesn't care about his subordinates. He doesn't rely on them to do his dirty work, making him a stronger villian. If they mess up, they die. He uses the previous losers for an example, striking the fear of God into the people working under him. Seriously! Would you mess up at your work if you knew your boss was going to choke the life out of you? Vader has no concern or fear for his subordinates, making him stronger. The Emperor failed in this category. He relied too much on Vader to do the work, leading to his downfall. Vader didn't have that problem, making him a better villian then the emperor.

So, where was Vaders mistake?















LOVE! Villians can not fall in love, be in love, or feel love for anyone. A true villian wouldn't care if his son were being electrecuted. In fact, he wouldn't have a son in the first place. Vader's mistake came because he had something to tie him to the world. Somebody connected him to the rest of humanity, and when you are a villian you can't afford that connection. If there were no Luke or Leiah, Vader would have continued on his path, eventually becoming the emperor himself, and possibly the best villain of all time. But his "Lovely" downfall takes him away from spot one.

So lets review. Vader was an amazing villian. He had power, he had the force, he could chop suey you with his light saber. His greatest success as a villian was his ability to make the audience root for him. His greatest flaw was having a connection to the world, that connection being love. He deffinately makes the top 5 for my list of villians, but he couldn't be in the number one spot because he breaks one of the rules.

1 comment:

Cara said...

Is he wearing an I-pad?